- Double truck, Single end PCC city car
- Trucks: Clark B-2
- Motors: Four GE 1198F3
- Air-electric brakes
HistoryConstructed in 1944 under sanctions of the War Production Board, cars Capital Transit 1400-1464 earned the nick-name of "War Baby PCCs." Although built to prewar specifications, cars in this order were stripped of all non-essentials, including the traditional PCC headlight wings and curved aluminum trim at the car ends, which was replaced by dark grey striping. Painted steel replaced chromed anti-climbers, and stainless steel window sash, window guards and seat frames. Capital Transit also modified 1430 with air-operated drum brakes in lieu of tread brake shoes. These cars also were the first in Washington to feature dash lights.
Capital Transit 1430 was based at the Northern Division (Decatur) and provided service on 14th Street. Considered the least well-constructed PCC cars in the fleet, the cars in the 1400-1464 series were the first PCCs stored as ridership declined in the late 1950s.
Rockhill Trolley Museum purchased Capital Transit Transit 1430 from a junk dealer in 1966 and traded the car to NCTM in 1997. It is on display in Street Car Hall, awaiting restoration.
Back to top
More Street Cars in the Collections