- Double truck, Single end PCC city car
- Trucks: Clark B-2
- Motors: Four WH 1432
- Air-electric brakes
HistoryConstructed in 1945, Capital Transit 1540 was part of an order of standee-window cars. But unlike the all-electric standee window cars built for St. Louis, Washington’s cars had air operated appliances and retained elements of the original body styling. In late 1944, the War Production Board relaxed some of its restrictions which permitted the return of stainless steel window sash and stanchions, and chrome plating on the upper portion of the seat frames. The cars in this order also featured a "next car light" fitted next to the destination sign on the doorside. To indicate that the car was full, this light would flash "Take next car, please."
Capital Transit 1540 was based at the Eastern Division (Lincoln Park) and operated frequently on the Cabin John line to Glen Echo Park. After retirement, Leonard’s Department store purchased Capital Transit 1540 for use on its new subway in Ft. Worth, TX. Stripped for parts, the car did not operate at Leonard’s, and was later acquired by a private owner in Arkansas.
NCTM received Capital Transit 1540 in 1987. It is in storage awaiting restoration.
Back to top
More Street Cars in the Collections